Tips for DIY Tiling Projects
Tile can give your home a new, updated look. There are many options for tile in your home, including an entryway, kitchen backsplash, or bathroom floor. With the right tools, like a floor tile trowel, the job can be a great DIY project. At Barwalt Precision Tool Company, we would like to offer some tips that can help ensure success.
- Carefully measure the space you wish to tile. You need to know the square footage of the area. Figure in 10% extra in footage to ensure you have enough tiles.
- A backer-board can make the job come out nicer. If it is in a bathroom, make sure it is waterproof.
- Create quadrants by using a level to draw a vertical and horizontal line from the center of the area.
- Determine your design and work from the center out.
- Use tile spacers in between the tiles for a more precise layout.
- Trim large pieces with a wet saw or snap cutter.
- Let the tile rest overnight, then apply the grout.
- Use liberal amounts of grout and fill the gaps well. Let dry for 30 minutes.Then wash excess away with a sponge.
- Seal the grout with a tile sealant.
For precision stone and granite work, you need the proper tools. Browse our online store for all your tile needs.